Square One Realtor Offers Tips on Maximizing the Square Footage in a Condo
One growing trend in the Square One Mississauga real estate market is the demand for smaller condos. There are several benefits of choosing a smaller unit over a larger one. First, smaller units cost less and are a great investment for individuals, couples, and single-parent families shopping for an affordable starter home in the highly sought-after Square One area.
While there are larger units available that offer 1,000-plus square feet of space, for most people, their condos will average around 500 to 800 square feet, depending on the condo project and available units. Maximizing this amount of living space requires creative thinking about how you want to arrange your new home.
There are several areas within the unit that often go unused and wasted living space. To ensure you are getting the most benefit from every square foot, consider the following tips and suggestions:
- Underneath Beds – The floor space under the beds gets overlooked and can provide additional storage space of clothing and other items. Consider adding drawer units or pull out storage containers under this area to take advantage of this space and prevent overcrowding in the bedroom.
- Install Sliding Doors – Sliding doors on the closets and entry ways frees up the space a traditional door needs to swing open into the area. By replacing these with sliding doors, or requesting sliding doors, if you are purchasing a pre-construction unit, it allows you to use the space for other purposes, like a sitting chair or wardrobe. Remember to choose wardrobes that have sliding doors on them, too.
- Underneath End Tables – Just like the space under the bed, the space underneath end tables often goes unused. You can find attractive cube-like storage pieces to fit your décor and use it for storing away extra pillows, blankets, books, magazines, and other such items.
- Living/Dining Areas – In most units, this area of the home is open to provide flexibility in how you want to place furniture pieces. If you want to have separate areas, use folding or sliding room dividers to divide the two living spaces into their own rooms.
- Select Multi-function Furniture Pieces – Some coffee tables and sofas are designed with additional storage space inside to store less used items out of the way. You can even find bench-style seating for kitchen tables that have storage underneath the seat.
- Walls – The walls inside your unit can be used to mount shelving units of varying sizes and give you more storage options, while at the same time, offer a flat surface on top for displaying various objects and items.
- “Murphy-style” Desks – There are desk units which open and close like a murphy bed and are great when you want to be able to close it up to free up space for entertaining or guests.
Remember to have fun as you decorate your new home to maximize every square foot of living space! For assistance in finding the perfect condo in Mississauga or elsewhere in the GTA, please feel free to contact Square One realtor, Shawn Gandhi at 905.795.1900 today!